Giving to God - why should we give gifts to God from our earnings? Why not we give all our money to charity than to God? etc are some normal questions people ask. The fact is God created everything and He gave us life. So we have nothing new or more valuable that God does not have. But the Living God loves us. All He sees in us is our heart, only to find how much we love Him.
We find this in Bible Luke 21:1-4 "Jesus looked round and saw rich men dropping their gifts in the temple treasury, and he also saw a very poor widow dropping in two little copper coins. he said, "I tell you that this poor widows put in more than all the others. For the others offered their gifts from what they had to spare of their riches; but she, poor as she is, gave all she had to live on." Luke 21:1-4
So it is clear that how much we give is not important but how sincerely we love the Lord and give to the Lord makes the difference. The Lord sees our heart for true Love.
Cain and Able were the first people who gave gifts to God. We see the difference in their gifts to God in Genesis 4:3-5 "In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. And Abel also brought an offering fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast." So this again clearly shows that the creator God does not need our money, gold etc. All He needs is our Love. He sees how much we honor Him.
Related topics - Tithe, Vows to God, Gifts to God, How to give gifts to God?
How to chose gifts for God?
When we gift a gift to any important person in our life like our parents, close friends etc, we try to think what they will like, what will be good for them, what they need and then we go to find the best of the gifts and pack it in a good gift rapper. We then present the gift with care at the right time. Similarly the God who created us is our Heavenly Father, He loves us so much that He gave His life for all our wrong doings and has saved us from eternal death. So let's take keen care to provide the best gift to the Lord from all that He has provided us. Let's take time to think what is the best thing that we have and let's Give that to Him. My humble suggestions are give your best time to the Lord (early morning) take time to thank him, talk to Him in prayer, reading Bible to know more about Him, His will etc. Jesus will talk to you because He is alive, He loves you and cares for you. Just try Jesus.
God looked at Abel's gift with favor because Abel gifted to God his best. We find this in Genesis 4:3-5. We also find the Lord instructing Moses on how to chose an animal (in those days wealth of a person was denoted by the number of cattle he owned) to be sacrificed as an offering to the Lord in Exodus 2:5 "The animal you chose should be a year old male without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats."
So let's think, pray, prepare and give our best to the Lord with love and gratitude.
How to give gifts to God?
Gifts to God can be present it in the following ways
1. Present your gifts to God in His temple (The Church) to the priest with prayer.
2. Vows to God. We find in Bible Jacob vowing to the Lord in Genesis 28:20-22 "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."
When the Lord fulfills your desire don't delay in fulfilling your commitment to the Lord first. Some people pray owing to Jesus that as soon as they are healed they will start to spend more time in prayer or will provide some money, will help the poor, missions or will do this and that (like giving up a bad habit) but as soon as the Lord heals them they forget all their owes and fall back into their old life style. If you have vowed(promised) in prayer to the Lord for some need or if you have to give your offerings or tithe to the Lord don't delay. The Lord tells in Exodus 22:29 Thou shalt not delay to offer the first of thy ripe fruits, and of thy liquors: the firstborn of thy sons shalt thou give unto me.(KJV)
3. Other than your tithing and thanks offerings Jesus said in Mark 10:21 "Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me."(KJV) So giving to the poor will add up treasure in heaven.
So from the above we understand that
1. God does not require our offerings but we give offerings, tithe, gifts to God for our good. He sees our heart & how we honor His words. The Lord will bless us accordingly.
2. The Living God tells us how important it is for us to keep up all His commandments when He tells that it's cheating Him when a person does not pays his tithe properly.
3. Tithe, offerings & money are not the only things to give to God, giving to the poor, giving thanks to God, giving your time are also giving to God.
Pray to God and He will guide you present the best gifts pleasing to God.
May the Living God be pleased with your best gifts to God and bless you with His best.